Aya Traveler Brianna is a DAISY Award Winner!
Congratulations to Aya traveler, Brianna, who was selected as a DAISY Award winner! She was nominated by a charge nurse on her unit for her compassionate care and for being a great patient advocate. Recently, Brianna cared for a critically ill patient whose personal treatment wishes were different from what her children wanted. Brianna went to the patient’s bedside to have a conversation during this difficult time. Here’s an excerpt from Brianna’s nomination:
“During that conversation I could see how much the patient trusted Brianna and how she looked to her for support to express these difficult wishes. I was very concerned how the patient’s children would handle this information but Brianna facilitated the process seamlessly; I could really see the rapport she had developed with this family. She asked the teaching staff for time for the patient to have a private conversation with her children and was such a compassionate support system for all of them. She had the teaching staff come back in afterward to answer questions and address concerns. Based on all of this the patient, with the support of her children, made the decision to change her code status to DNR/DNI. The interactions I witnessed this weekend were very special and I know they meant the world to the patient.”
Thank you, Brianna, for providing phenomenal care and compassion.
Want to recognize a fellow traveler?
If you have a compelling story about a fellow Aya traveler and their work with patients, consider nominating them for a prestigious DAISY Award!
All nominees should have:
- Served as a role model for the nursing profession.
- Significantly made a difference in the life of a patient.
- Established a special connection with patients and families through trust and emotional support.
- Displayed commitment to the highest standards of professional nursing practice.
- Demonstrated excellent clinical and critical thinking skills.
- Provided compassionate care, keeping the patient and their family at the center of care.
Submit your nomination today! Remember to include as many details as possible that show how the traveler went above and beyond the call of duty.