How-to Make a Healthy Acai Bowl at Home
Want to make your own acai bowl?
Below is a delicious acai bowl recipe to try at home. But first, let’s talk about how to make this a healthy meal.
The acai berry originates from Brazil and is known for its high antioxidant content. While the berry itself is really healthy, most smoothie shops and acai bars add far too much sugar, which reduces the nutritional value. Even though there are natural sugars, they can add up to 70 grams of sugar to one bowl – way over the daily recommendation!
According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should consume in a day are:
- Men: 150 calories per day (36 grams or nine teaspoons).
- Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or six teaspoons).
(image via AHA)
A typical acai bowl will include an acai berry packet with apple juice and banana and the toppings usually include banana, honey and granola. All of these ingredients by themselves might not be a problem but when you add them together it turns into a dessert-like meal.
If you get an acai bowl while you are out and about, ask them to make it with almond milk instead of apple juice and choose two toppings instead of three or four. Opt for at least one topping that has some protein and/or healthy fat to help reduce the blood sugar spike.
To avoid the excess sugar you can easily make an acai bowl at home. Here is our recipe!
Healthy Acai Bowl Recipe
- 1 unsweetened acai packet*
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 banana
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 2 ice cubes
* Make sure to buy the unsweetened version. You can find this at any health food store in the freezer near the frozen fruit.
Toppings (choose 2)
- 1/4 cup blueberries or sliced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/4 cup Purely Elizabeth granola (or other low sugar option)
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds or walnuts
- Remove acai packet from the freezer and run under warm water for five seconds to help it thaw out.
- Add acai packet and remaining smoothie ingredients to a blender. Blend until combined well.
- Pour into a bowl. Sprinkle the toppings evenly over the top. Enjoy!
Have a question? Please ask it in the comments below.
This tip is brought to you by Aya Healthcare nutrition expert Amy Krasner of Nourished Balance.