Common Coffee Mistakes Travel RNs Make (and Healthier Alternatives)
How do you drink your morning cup of joe?
- With sugar?
- With artificial sweetener (splenda, equal, sweet ‘n low)?
- With creamer?
- With flavored syrup?
If you answered “yes” to 1-4, then it’s time to reconsider your coffee habits. Since drinking coffee is a daily habit for most people, these ingredients tend to add up quickly. All of these ingredients are processed and can have a negative effect on your blood sugar and overall health. If you have issues with energy levels, anxiety, depression, or a family history of cancer, it’s really important to improve the quality of your morning cup of coffee.
Here are some healthy upgrades for you to try:
- Coconut palm sugar (replacement for sugar).
- Stevia or liquid vanilla stevia (replacement for artificial sweeteners).
- Coconut milk, cashew milk, organic half & half, splash of milk, splash of organic cream (replacement for creamers).
- Vanilla extract or cinnamon (substitute for flavored syrups).
Do you have any other healthy ideas for your morning coffee? Please share them in the comments!
This tip is brought to you by Aya Healthcare nutrition expert Amy Krasner of Nourished Balance.